Reading Booklet for SATs 2016 Homework
4 November 2016
21 October 2016
7&14 October 2016
There will be no homework this week due to children going to Thurston.
16 Septembber 2016
Dear Year 6 and Family,
Welcome to the New Year! I am sure we will thoroughly enjoy working as a team this year. As we have recently entered Year 6, I have taken this opportunity to say welcome back and to inform you of a few things that you will need to know.
- PE. kit is needed for Wednesday afternoons, or a letter to excuse your child for reasonable medical reasons.
- Spellings will be handed out on Fridays, Spelling tests will occur the following Friday. Spellings will be given on paper.
- Homework will also be set online (spag.com, mymaths.co.uk) on Fridays, and will also be due in the following Wednesday to be Marked. (Unless stated otherwise.) Project work will be given on paper and the due date will be on the project. Copies of all homework and letters will also be posted onto the Year 6 section of the website.
- Reading books and reading record books to come into school on each day to be changed (as needed) please comment in your child’s journal when you hear them read Your child may also write in their journal if they read independently.
- Library books will be changed on Fridays.
- As we are now in Year 6, it will be mentioned to the children that it is their responsibility to remember their resources! Please ensure your child brings a bag into school each day and a water bottle.
Special classroom events planned for this term include Wick WW2 topics and Remarkable Rainforests and Beautiful Brazil topics. Trips include; Thurston the second week back, Simonside climbing wall 14.09.17 (for children not going to Thurston), Beamish (16.10.17), an autumn term parent assembly 28.11.17 and many more! Meetings for SATs will take place in the first Autumn term, dates TBC.
Please mark those dates on your calendar. Studies show that parental involvement in a child’s education is one of the strongest indicators of student achievement. We hope you will make it a priority this year to attend as many school-sponsored events as possible.
If you have any questions or concerns or if you would like to visit our classroom, or volunteer to help out, you can contact me by ringing the school or having a chat with me on the yard. The best times to reach me are before/after school and at lunch time.
Once again, welcome Year 6! Let’s work together to make this the best year ever!
Mrs Marshall & Mrs Meikle
**To safeguard children leaving school on an evening they will be escorted onto the yard, via the Year 6 exit and handed to the adult who normally collects them (unless they have consent to walk home alone). If for any reason your child needs to be collected by an alternative adult could you ring school or catch me on a morning to let me know please? This will help to ensure a safe handover?
Y6 had a good time taking part in a science lesson at Whitburn Academy as part of their induction into secondary school.
The children had to investigate which brand of washing up liquid generates the most bubbles. First of all they had to predict the outcome, giving reasons why. Then they had to record independent variables (the things which would change in the investigation) dependent variables (the things to measure) and control variables (the things to be kept the same)
The children had to gather their equipment and carefully follow a method. Results were recorded and a conclusion was made which was then compared with the original prediction. Finally the work was evaluated, considering how it might be changed to make it better if the investigation was repeated.
The children had an excellent time last term studying Brazil and its culture. They loved finishing the topic off with a D&T project where they created traditional carnival head dress.
Children from Y2 to Y6 enjoyed decorating hard boiled eggs on Thursday for the annual decorated egg competition. The standard of entries was very high, which made the judges’ decisions very difficult. Prizes were awarded for the best three entries from each class. See if you can spot the winners among the photos below!